Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mortgage Modification Mandates

As a follow-up to the last post, several important matters:

1. If you have submitted the application for a loan modification under the "Making Home Affordable" program, any foreclosure proceedings must stop. The exception is if you do not meet the basic criteria (see http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/)

2. To see if your lender/servicer MUST participate in the program go to http://www.financialstability.gov/impact/contracts_list.htm - if it is listed, it has to deal with the modifications

If the lender or servicer received any TARP funds or "volunteered" to be part of the Home Afforability Modification Program "HAMP" or the Home Affordability Refinance Program "HARP" it should be on one of the lists

3. If a mortgage company or servicers tells you not to send any money until the paperwork is received or not to send money for any other reason, ask for the person's name or employee number. Also, ask how you be certain that you should not send any payment. Even if you are satisfied that you do not have to send a payment "that" month, DO NOT USE THE MONEY for anything else. Set up a separate savings account and put all of the money for the payment(s) in the account. If the MHA modification doesn't work, and the lender has its own program, you WILL be asked if you have the last "X" payments, since the last one mailed.

4. If you get mail offering to help you get a loan modification, and the solicitations asks you to send in any money, even after you have called the company and spoken with a "counselor" DON'T DO IT, unless it is your lender/servicer and you have an agreement. There are hundreds of scams right now - 15% of my clients have paid money to some company that cannot help, except to help themselves.

Two expressions come to mind: "God helps those who help themselves" and "God help those who help themselves". (Interesting what one "s" can do!)

5. If you have questions, call a bankruptcy attorney or a foreclosure attorney in your area. If you don't know who to call, check http://www.naca.org/ or for a lawyer http://www.nacba.org/ OR send me an e-mail

Author's Copyright by Richard I. Isacoff, Esq, August, 2009


1 comment:

Loan Modification said...

Great information. Thank you for sharing.